Friday, March 7, 2008

A New Plate


Brek: Where did you get that plate?
Me: At Pier 1.

Brek: Didn't you have something different there before?
Me: Yes.

Brek: What was it?
Me: A different plate.

Brek: Why did you get a new plate?
Me: Because I was tired of the old plate.

Brek: (resisting the urge to say: What a waste of money! What's wrong with the old plate?!) What are you going to do with the old plate?
Me: (with a smile) I don't know...serve food on it!

Brek: (speechless, but smiling back--a smile that said: You're crazy! It's a good thing I love you!)


In earlier days of our marriage, this conversation would have gone differently. We would have both been frustrated with eachother when it was over. As it was, I knew Brek thought my purchase totally unnecessary, and he knew that I partly agreed with him. But he didn't get mad, and I didn't get annoyed. We have learned to laugh at things together instead of getting upset (most of the time). Isn't marriage great!

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

I am totally with you on this one. I get something new and Jeff is like..is that new, why do we need it, how much was it. Luckily after all the questions, he lets it go anyway. Sometimes we just need a little pick me up in our little corner of the world don't you think?

Heidi said...

Emily! This is hilarious! I can see this conversation happening. I'm lucky on this one because Kyle would not even notice, so I can get away with a lot. Cute plate by the way, you have good taste!!!