Sunday, March 30, 2008

Bragging Rights

If you are like me, you have kids that have amazing qualities, but you also know that your kids....well, are kids, and are not perfect. If your kids are at all like mine, they may be prone to bossiness, whining, tattling, pushing, poking, shoving, sloppiness, etc. However, if your kids are like mine, they are also prone to greatness!

I often times write about the funny, crazy, drive-me-crazy moments in our day to day life. I also jot down a lot of "Lukeisms" (I stole that phrase from somebody) because I love all the funny cute things that come out of a two year old's mouth. I try not to brag continually about my kids, understanding that as their mother, I may be a bit biased. But I now feel like bragging, so please indulge me as I brag away.

My kids get up at 6:00 am every morning (not weekends) to practice. Scott and Josh practice the piano, and Syd and Madelyn practice the violin. Luckily Madelyn is in kindergarten and I can practice with her after the other kids go to school, but next year that will all change. Luke and Ben don't play anything yet...phewww! Well, I think they are all amazing. Scott and Josh can play the piano like you would not believe. And Syd and Madelyn do a fantastic job on the violin.

People will say things like, Oh, they're so talented! But I would have to argue that 95% of what they are comes from very hard work! And don't be fooled into thinking they are sooo disciplined, sitting down to practice of their own free will and choice. That is where I come in. I would be the slave-driver! Mornings in our home are a bit crazy as I try to practice with each one of them for a portion of time. I feel like I am running from one room to the next, trying to practice with all three of them, feed them, help with lunches (rarely), and get them out the door to school.

A couple of months ago, Scott's teacher told us that she was to choose one student for an audition. The student who was chosen would be given the opportunity to play the opening number for a concert pianist who was coming to Burley. Scott and Josh's teacher said she would choose either one of them, and we basically just picked Scott because he was older. The concert pianist, Angela Jia Kim, had requested that a student be selected from the Mini-Cassia area, someone under the age of 12, to be her opener. Scott went to the audition, and was chosen. So last Friday night, Scott got to perform at the King Fine Arts Center on the big 9 foot Steinway. It was such a great experience!!

Brek recorded him and put it on You Tube. Scott is pretty excited that he is on You Tube, and the rest of the kids are excited for him. I'm especially proud of Josh, who would have liked to play as well, and who would have also done a great job. Instead of being jealous that Scott was getting so much attention, he cheered him on. Josh is a great kid that way! Anyway, here is the video if you want to watch it. Enjoy!

p.s. I did not know Brek was putting the whole video on You Tube, or I would have definitely told him to edit me OUT!

p.p.s. You have to pause the music on my blog or they will both play at the same time--not pretty!


6 comments:

Chelsie said...

Amazing! I want a copy of that to put on my blog! Don't I get bragging rights to since I am his favorite aunt, besides Elise? He did such a great job and I am sad that I couldn't be there!

Unknown said...

Hey Chels--if you want to find it, just go to You Tube and type in Scott Pilling. It will pull it up. Then I think somehow you can add it to your post as a video feed (not totally sure, because Brek did it).

Emily said...

that was actually me, not Brek!

Lauren said...

That was incredible to see! You and Brek are truly great parents. You do all have a musical gift, and are very hard at work on your talents.

Lauren

Mommo said...

I am incredibly impressed. Way to go Scott. (And you too Emily....getting kids to practice...whew!) You have every right to brag!

Mommo said...

I am incredibly impressed. Way to go Scott. (And you too Emily....getting kids to practice...whew!) You have every right to brag!