Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter

Do you ever feel like you have created a monster? Let me explain.

Every holiday that comes around is surrounded with high expectations from my children....expectations that usually involve a fair amount of work on my part! However, I can't blame them, or fault them for this, since it is a monster of my own making. When my kids were smaller and, well, there were less of them, I went all out trying to make things as magical and fun as possible. It was work, and it was tiring, but now it is EXHAUSTING.

Perhaps this has to do with the fact that there are so many OTHER things going on in my life. Or perhaps I am just getting old and tired (naaaah, that couldn't be it). But regardless, when holilday time comes around, the festivities begin.

An easter tradition is coloring easter eggs. This is probably a tradition for most of you as well. This is not one of my favorite traditions, since it involves using dye that stains hands, shirts, pants, floors, etc. But the kids love it nonetheless.


The older kids were pretty good at containing the mess, but Luke loved "plopping" eggs into the colorful liquids. And once his eggs were finished, he decided they needed to be redyed. Scott and Josh quickly dyed their eggs, but Syd and Maddy took their time, considering each egg to be a masterpiece that needed much love and devotion.

Following the easter egg coloring, we had many easter egg hunts....some with plastic, candy filled eggs and others with their beautifully colored eggs. And of course the easter bunny had to make his (in our case her) secret drop-off.

We actually had a great time! I probably wouldn't have minded it if we hadn't been travelling all day prior to the festivities. But I would say all in all it was a success. The kids had fun, and I was just glad we fit it all in!


3 comments:

steph said...

Hey I like your new background. Good work. I so hear you with the whole easter thing. Stop being such a fun mom would you? A few years ago I decided that there is no more grass in the baskets and that works great! I also enjoyed decorating eggs at Stokes.(the store) We still had a spill though but I found out orange dye does come out of pink shirts!

Sarah Stokes said...

LOVE the blog!! Why are you such a super mom? I only have 3 and I can't manage keep up with them!

Emily said...

Great idea Steph! I am definitely bagging the grass next year. I am still picking up grass in random places all over my house, and probably will be for a few more days!