Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Kiss of Death

As I mentioned earlier, Sunday dinner took place at my dad's house with siblings, cousins, etc. While we were there, my darling niece Kendy decided she wasn't too hip on being a "big girl" and therefore didn't want to waste any time on the toilet. As my sister was rushing a very smelly, messy little girl to the bathtub, I teased her, telling her that my child had been completely potty trained for at least two weeks now with no accidents--not to rub it in or anything.

Can I just say, that was the kiss of death, and if I ever open my mouth to say something so foolish again, just slap some sense into me, will you...PLEASE?

Since then, we have had an accident every day for the past three days. Potty training accidents are no fun, especially when they are of the smelly version. And they are REALLY no fun when your independent two year old thinks, "No problem. I'll just clean it up!"

Last night I walked in on this scene. A bathtub full of crap (literally), stinky underwear lying soaking wet in the bathtub (looking rather lumpy), piles and piles of wadded up wet wipes (some slightly used) lying on the floor of the bathroom, hallway, and bedroom. There were also several brownish smears on the bathtub and toilet. AND...there was a bottle of windex sitting on the side of the bathtub.

I called Luke's name and he came running, looking very guilty, knowing he had perhaps displeased his mother! OK, so I didn't just call his name. It was probably more of a yell....OK, it was definitely a yell. (Bad mom, bad mom. I know all you wonderful mothers out there NEVER yell at your children!) However, frustrated as I was with him, I couldn't help but smile (definitely inwardly) and be somewhat in awe of the way his little mind worked.

He had made a mess and was determined to clean it up on his own. After attempting to clean himself with at least 75 wet wipes, he decided to move on to the underwear. His method of cleaning was apparently to rinse them out in the bathtub. This however, led to a very messy bathtub...and hence the windex.

So there you have it, my "crappy" story of the day! Sorry for teasing you Elise....I guess the joke's on me!

1 comment:

Chelsie said...

Thats hillarious! I can totally see that happening. I am sure that you got it all cleaned up though. Atleast he wants to clean it up though right?