Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Down and Derby

So the pinewood derby has come and gone again. It actually took place a couple of weeks ago, but with being sick, I got a bit behind, and I have to write about the Pinewood Derby!

About a month and a half ago, Josh came home with "the box"...you know, the box with a chunk of wood inside and four wheels just waiting to be transformed into something amazing! Brek suggested going for style instead of wins this year, since Josh had already won 1st place and 2nd place. Josh agreed, and they decided to make something fun. I said nothing, thinking this was a good idea, but also wondering how it would actually work. You see, I have extremely competitive boys. And when I say extremely, I mean EXTREMELY. They REALLY like to win, and we have had to work on learning to be a good loser. So I was a little concerned that Josh would have a hard time. It's all well and good to say you don't care about winning, but in all actuality, the moment that car is lined up on the track, you can't help but want to win.




So the big day arrived, and Josh and Brek put the finishing touches on their car (or should I say surf board). Surfer dude was secured to the board and off they went. When the cars were weighed, Josh's weighed only about half of the allowed weight. Instead of weighing 5 oz., it weighed about 2 1/2 oz. Still smiling...still planning on losing.

But then the races began. Race number 1...Josh's car lined up with three others and off they go! Josh's car came in last. Race number 2...still smiling...still planning on losing. Josh's car lined up again and they were off. Again, Josh's car came in last place. Race number 3...still smiling, but with difficulty...still planning on losing, but secretly wishing he wouldn't! The cars lined up, they were off, and again he came in last place. I could see that Josh was struggling. The smile was looking very forced, but it was there nonetheless.

This continued on...Josh losing most races, but trying so hard to be cheerful about it. He didn't come in dead last, but pretty close. He cheered on his friends, and even though it was absolutely killing him to lose, he never let anyone know. I was proud of him. And when the night ended and awards were handed out, Josh won the Grand Prize....the Sportsmanship award. He won a trophy and a big candy bar! He was so excited, and I must say...he deserved it.


This is our last pinewood derby for 6 years, and while I am glad, I will miss the entertainment! Here are some of my favorite highlights of the evening:

The dad sitting at the end of the track, continually giving instructions to his son about placing the car on the track. The wheels were never lined up straight enough for his liking! I also liked the mom who was video taping....not her son....but her son's car! She stood nearby the scorekeeper, making sure her son's name was always put in the correct slot. I also liked watching the dad of the winning car, who gave out a few "secret tips" to other dads, telling them he had more tips for them later if they were interested!

All in all, it was a great night of laughs....at least for me!

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Okay, Em I'm sure you didn't mean for this post to be so emotional but here I am bauling like a baby. I miss all you guys so much and being able to be a part of the fun things we used to do. I still remember Pinewood Derby last year. Kaden took 3rd place with Jeff's old car....pink and purple no less thanks to Kenzi's paint job. Not so good this year but his car got best paint job...way to go mom!!!! Thanks for bringing back some great memories! Love ya