Monday, May 12, 2008

A Day of Rest??

It is said that Sunday is a day of rest, but I would have to disagree. There is not much restful about it. Trying to get six kids ready and out the door seems to be a monumental task. You would think after doing this week after week I would have a better grasp on the amount of time it takes me to get everything done, but I always underestimate how much time everything takes! And it never fails....there is always something missing. Somebody can't find their shoes, or their church pants, or their tights, etc. There are, oh, so many things to gather....diapers, scriptures, notebooks, baby toys, books for Luke, and on and on. Between carrying bags and car seats and babies, I feel like a pack mule!

After surviving church, there are hungry kids to feed and keep occupied throughout the day. I often ask myself on Monday morning, "WHY do we clean house on Saturday?" By Monday morning it looks like a tornado has hit our home. But despite it all, there are good moments that make me smile and laugh. I am grateful to have a day when my kids have to stay home and we just enjoy each other.

Yesterday during sacrament meeting, the following took place: Brek and I were at one end of the bench, and Luke was at the other end. They were passing the sacrament. When the bread tray got to Luke, he reached in and grabbed not one, but two handfuls of bread! Scott and Josh, who were sitting by him, both reached for him, trying to stop him. But Luke was faster than them and shoved both handfuls of bread into his mouth (or at least he attempted to do so...he had a lot of bread!) We had a hard time not laughing out loud.

Yesterday Brek made me dinner (yummy chicken fajitas), and the kids gave me cards and things they had made for me. It is always a sweet moment to read the nice things my kids say about me. I'm glad to know Scott still loves me after spending the last month continually in and out of grounding!

Last night Madelyn told me she wished every day could be Mother's Day. She also told me she thought Mother's Day should be in the month of February, just like "Valentimes Day" (yes, that is how she pronounces it) because it is all about love. She loved presenting me with homemade cards and snowflakes (yes, snowflakes) all day long. What a kid!

No comments: