Thursday, May 15, 2008

A Day in the Life

You know you have too many places to go when....

you put your baby to bed in his car seat instead of his crib!

Seriously. My life this week is CRAAAAAZY!
Here is my day....just a sampling of what every day this week has been like.

Usual morning routine (worthy of a post in and of itself), then get the kids off to school.

9:00-Madelyn's violin lessons

After lessons (which started late, because I got there late, and therefore ended late!) we headed to Wal-mart to get groceries and other miscellaneous items, such as pink dance tights.

11:00-In the check-out lane at Wal-mart with a very nice check-out lady who had many stories of her childhood to tell me. Apparently she didn't know that I was late for my next event!

(Why does it take an hour to grocery shop??? Maybe it's because my kids keep trying to put miscellaneous objects in my cart....or maybe it's because I didn't make a list and therefore can't seem to remember all the things I needed and therefore have to do some backtracking....or maybe it's because I am trying to talk on the phone, holding it with one hand, while pushing the heavy cart with the other hand, while trying to keep track of my kids....or maybe I'm just slow.)

11:25-Arrive at Lana's house to drop off Luke, and throw together a few quick lunches.

11:33-Arrive at Syd's school for her field trip. They were walking a mile and a half to the park, eating lunch/playing, then walking back. Parents could walk with them. They were scheduled to leave at 11:30. Since I was only 3 minutes late, I thought they might not have left, so I loaded Ben in the stroller, and got our lunches. Still no sign of them. So I asked and found out they had indeed left.

Now, if I was a smart mom, I would have hopped right back into my car and driven to the park. But, you guessed it, I'm not that smart! I thought we could easily catch them, so off we went. As we turned the first corner and still couldn't see them, I started to wonder. I was half dragging Madelyn along, as my speed walk is a jog for her. Poor Maddy. She was so tired of walking, but kept going. Sometimes we ran for a while, then slowed down to a quick walk. We finally caught them, just as they were getting to the park, where I learned that they had changed the times and left at 11:20! Thanks for the update Syd! Oh well. At least I got some sort of exercise today!

It was fun to be there with Syd, but I'm pretty sure her little friends liked walking with me even more than she did. OK, OK, so they don't much care about walking with me, but they LOVE walking next to Ben.

12:45-Leave the park, walk back to the school, load up the kids and head back to Lana's. (Yes, I left my groceries sitting in the car this whole time! Just pray that my food won't go bad, will ya? There was no way I had time to go home first and unload. I did put my milk in Lana's fridge, so at least we can eat cereal!)

1:30-Pick up Luke.

Me: Luke, did you have fun?
Luke: No, I don't want to go home. I didn't have any fun...yet. (Translation: I don't want to go home, and if I tell mom I didn't have fun, she'll have to let me stay until I do!)

2:00-Arrive at home, unload groceries, put away groceries, deal with two poopy children, one of which is potty trained, but has discovered the fine art of "holding it", or should I say "holding it until you just can't make it to the toilet". AAARGH!

3:00-Syd's violin lessons, which we were once again late for.

3:30-Finish violin and head to dance recital rehearsal, Syd changing in the car and eating a snack on the go. Pick up 3 other girls on the way.

4-6:30-Syd's dance rehearsal, which I left at 5:30 to head home, grab some food, then run out the door again.

6:30-My niece's dance recital, which was a great way to end the day. It was fun to see them dance. I love my cute little nieces. It would have been quite relaxing were it not for a screaming baby at home who woke up and needed to eat. I sprinted to the car, drove home (luckily just a couple minutes away), fed Ben, drove back, sprinted in and sat down just in time to see their dances!

Oh yeah, Josh also had a baseball game, which Brek took him to.

All in all, it was a crazy day, but on the bright side, the weather was beautiful. When I got home from the dance recital, Brek and the boys were playing basketball in the driveway, so I joined in, flip flops and all!

What a day!

4 comments:

Jill said...

okay Emily you take the prize for busy moms! My little Christian is almost 4 months old, he was born jan 23rd. :)

Extraordinary Housewife said...

... and you got home with footless tights. What more can go wrong???
-Lana

Chelsie said...

um...That makes me tired just reading it!! hahaha. You are so amazing. It sounds like it ended pretty good though. Fun Fun Fun!

Sarah Stokes said...

Ohh Emily you are awesome!! You are always so cool calm and collected, I just want to let everyone who reads this that Emily is as usually her very calm and orderly self even when she is sooo busy she can't breath:) she remains un-rattled!