Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day


Today is Father's Day, sooooo......what else could I do but talk about my dad! My dad is the greatest. He is such a generous, giving, fun person! He is always helping others. There have been many times when I have known someone in need of help and have called my dad. He always agrees to help, no hesitation. He has been a great example to me.

My dad is such a friendly guy! All through my life, I have watched him as he jokes with people, talks to them, puts an arm around their shoulder, etc. I went to a fireside with my dad one night (he was speaking and I was playing my violin), and watched as he stopped and talked to just about EVERYBODY! It took us forever to make our way out of the chapel. That night, dad earned the nickname "Mr. Congeniality".

My dad was always a participant in our home. And by that, I mean, he never sat back and watched my mom do the work. He cooked food, helped with dishes, ironed, did laundry....you name it. I loved this about my dad, and was determined to marry someone who would do the same. I have great memories of Saturday morning breakfast, sitting up to the counter while dad made pancakes. He would dance around the kitchen, singing "Sun's comin' up, I got 'cakes on the griddle...Life ain't nothin' but a funny, funny riddle". It wasn't until years later (after I was married) that I learned this was actually a John Denver song! All those years, I thought my dad had just made it up! (Obviously, I am not a huge John Denver fan.) In all his cleaning, my dad earned another nickname--Felix. If you have seen The Odd Couple, then you know what I'm talking about!

My dad is such a fun guy, and was always making us laugh. He always stands out in a crowd. One of my favorite memories of dad involves his debut in an Indiana Jones show at Disney MGM. He was selected out of 300 people (why does that always happen?) to go on stage and be an "extra". They asked him to pretend he had been shot. He gave quite the performance and had the audience busting up! What a guy!

I loved spending time with my dad when I was younger, playing catch in our backyard, playing No Bears are out Tonight, shooting hoops, or having movie nights with lots and lots of popcorn.

My dad is such a great grandpa. He loves his grandkids and would do anything for them. He cheers them on and supports them in all they do, even if it means sitting in a hot gym for two hours waiting to watch his granddaughter do a few back handsprings.

Love you Dad!

3 comments:

Chelsie said...

He is pretty amazing! I can't wait to see you today!

Trav and Elise said...

That's our dad!

The Brack's said...

Hey Stranger! Good to hear from ya...your dad sounds pretty incredible..now I know where you get it from! I hope you are enjoying your summer! We need to go to Twin sometime! -Carie B