Friday, June 20, 2008

Fun in Utah

The kids and I had a fun week in Utah. The boys went to a BYU basketball camp and had a great time. They were thoroughly exhausted when I picked them up. The four younger kids and I stayed with my sister Chelsie and her husband Eric. We thought we would get them ready for parenthood by doing such things as: throwing food all over the floor (thank you Ben), wiping gel all over the toilet seat (thank you Luke), and fighting in general over the Wii (thank you Syd and Maddy). I'm glad that all four of my children were participants in project Prepare Aunt Chels and Uncle Eric. Wasn't that nice of them?

Thank you Chelsie and Eric for letting us stay with you! We had such a great time!

We loved the warm weather (FINALLY) and spent our time at the zoo, swimming, swimming, and more swimming, being pampered at Chelsie's salon with a massage for me and pedicures for the girls, visiting the discovery museum, and finally, shopping. After all, what Utah trip would be complete without a little bit of shopping?

So, where are my great pictures you may ask? All those darling pictures of my children running with glee through the zoo, squealing at the monkeys and chasing peacocks? And all those great pictures of their happy faces at the discovery museum as they were, ummm, discovering? Well, I always seem to forget something when we go on trips (there is SO much to remember), and sadly, this time it was my beloved camera! At least I didn't forget one of the kids, right?!

Despite my love for Utah, I was reminded this week just how much I hate traffic! And I had forgotten how much Utah loves road construction in the summer. AND.....I discovered something new about myself. I hate underground parking garages!

Let me explain.

Upon entering the parking garage, I instantly become disoriented. Which way is north, south, east, west? I have no idea! I drive in circles, looking for a parking place. Finally I squeeze into some tiny little spot, hoping nobody dings my car. I unload everyone and we head for the exit.

But wait. Where is the exit? Which elevator takes me where? Where is an elevator?! I just head for whatever seems to be the closest escape from my underground lair, hoping to end up somewhere near my actual destination. Sometimes I get lucky. But other times, I end up who knows where!

After a while, it is time to leave, and back down we go. I try to retrace my steps, going in the same way we came out, hoping to find my car quickly. But, no such luck. I could have sworn we were parked on row P1B. But as we walk up and down row P1B, I begin to panic. Where is our car? Surely, somebody didn't steal it. Surely not....maybe not....oh crap! Where is our car??!! We wander all over level one of the parking garage, and finally, find our car. Where do we find it? In row P1B, of course!!! (Yes, I obviously have problems.)

I am frustrated by now, but glad to be in my car on my way out. But....does every sign in the garage say exit on it? I am beginning to think so, because no matter how many exit signs I follow, I seem to be getting nowhere. I feel like I am going in circles. Am I getting closer to the exit or farther away?! At last, I see a light. Go towards the light! At least, this is what I would do if there weren't 50 other cars in front of me!

Finally we pay our dues (literally) and enter the real world once more. It is like a breath of fresh air. Except, wait.....where am I now?!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Next time you are in Utah, you need to come and visit us, or at least call! I would love to see you guys!

Anonymous said...

haha! Amen on the parking garage dilema! At least you can rest assured you are not the only one who gets slightly confused in those things ha!