Saturday, January 17, 2009

A Mighty Fortress

Luke is going through a phase.

A phase which I hope he grows out of soon.

I will call it the fort building phase. In case you don't have kids, or maybe you don't have fort building kids, allow me to explain.

Building forts (in my house) includes pulling all the pillows off the couches (as in more than one couch!) and stacking them in random ways. Usually it also entails running from room to room to gather more pillows.

Luke is still a beginner builder, and his forts usually end up looking something like this.



This a fort built Lukey-style. Or in other words, it is a great big pile of pillows. Usually the creation looks a bit more.... well.... fort-like, when the older kids join in the fun. And on the grand scale of fort-building, this fort is actually quite small, having used pillows from only two rooms.

My response to the forts usually goes something like this.

Day one: I think to myself, "I am glad they are having so much fun. They are being so creative! I'll just let them play and have fun, and we'll pick up the pillows later. Because really, pillows....no big deal!"

Day two: I think to myself, "Wow, forts again? They sure are having fun building forts. Do they really have to use all these pillows, though?"

Day three: I think to myself, "Oh man, forts again?! Didn't I just pick up those pillows?"

Day four: I say right out loud, "Luke! Not again! I just picked up all those pillows. No more forts!"

And so it goes. Hopefully I will have a brief reprieve from the land of forts.

4 comments:

Kresta said...

I can totally relate! We have a door at the bottom of our stairs to the basement and my kids love to pile all the cushions and pillows up to build a giant fort on the stairs, which is great -- until someone needs to go up or down the stairs. Do they grow out of the fort building stage? My oldest is 10 and stillg oing strong!

Julie said...

Oh! I am so sick of the FORTS!!! Luckily it is always in the basement where nobody ever goes except to play the Wii. But we have a new fort built every few days! And since I never go down there, it usually stays that way for a while!

The Brack's said...

I laughed so hard when I read this! I am so happy to know that I am not the only mother who thinks this way! In fact my kids are lucky if I am not yelling at them on day 2 or 3 anymore. Why does every child go through this phase?

Heather said...

ok Emily,
I am going through the same fort building phase with my 3 yr. old. His is called "a club". Cushions removed, ect. Let the phase stick as long as it will. They grow up too fast!