Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Just Smile

Often times, I go about my day doing the normal day to day things, unaware of the suffering that is going on around me. I am absorbed in the life of my little family, taking care of their needs, hoping for their safety and well-being.

But then there are those who are just hoping to make it through another day. For one reason or another, their days are filled with heartache, worry, pain, and sorrow....to name a few.

Today I have practiced with my kids, cleaned the kitchen (several times), done laundry, exercised, fixed meals, ran errands. You know, a typical day. Meanwhile, my friend Lana was shaving off what little hair her daughter Emma had left. One more reminder that her daughter has a life-threatening illness. So much for the ordinary, cancer-free life that was hers a few months ago.

I sometimes finish out my day feeling exhausted and overwhelmed. But I am sure Lana would take my exhaustion and stresses ANY day. On top of the normal worries that come with raising a family, Lana (and Jeff) are dealing with leukemia and all that comes with it....and there is a lot that comes with it. It is one bumpy road.

It makes me feel like I should focus more on the positive each day. My troubles are nothing compared to Lana's. I need to be more grateful for all the good around me, not take it for granted. You never know how quickly things can change.

Tonight I stopped by Lana's to drop off Ty who had been playing with Luke. My kids stayed in the car, and as we drove away, Maddy asked, "Who was that in the pink clothes?"

I told her it was Emma.

"But she didn't have any hair," was Maddy's reply. She wasn't bothered by the fact that Emma had no hair. She was just confused.

I explained that Emma had a very bad sickness and the medicine she needed to help her get better made her hair fall out. I then said, "But didn't she look great!"

They all agreed!

I then told them....

"Emma is beautiful, and you know why? Because she always has a beautiful smile on her face, and people who smile are beautiful."

How true it is. Emma is truly beautiful and makes me feel happy when I am around her. Thank you Emma for sharing your beautiful smile with me all the time!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Thanks for the great post! It really is so so true! There are so many days that I feel so overwhelmed by my crazy life, but then need to sit back and think of those who are dealing with certain things that I can't even imagine...death, illnesses and much more! Thanks for the gentle reminder to be grateful for what I have!! Your sweet friend and her daughter Emma are in my prayers!

marianne said...

Em,
Isn'r she though! She 's just one of those people who are irresistable! Lana , you are always in my thoughts and prayers,,,, Emaa, she will be fine! It's your sanity I pray for! I mean, how many episodes of Wizards can one mom possibly take??
Marianne