Friday, October 24, 2008

Chalk One Up for Mom

This year I have moved on to a new stage of life. I feel like I have stepped over the threshold of young mom into whatever the next step is! I know, I know, you are probably thinking....What do you mean you still thought you were a young mom?! Six kids? You lost young mom status long ago!

However, contrary to what anyone may have thought, until this year, I still felt a bit young momish.

So, what happened this year to change everything? Two words. Junior High.

This year, Scott started Junior High. In many ways, this year hasn't been much different than any other. Scott still rarely has homework. He loves some teachers, and others...well, not so much. He still comes home after school with lots to talk about. But in two ways (so far), it is quite different.

The first is the morning drop-off. Instead of hitting two schools, I now have to hit three. And, Scott's school starts 5 min. earlier than last year. AND, he gets in trouble if he's late. Thank heavens Brek can drive them most of the time. So far so good on the whole tardy issue.

The second took place this week. Three words. Parent Teacher Conference.

Enter here the whole 3 school issue once again. Three schools to visit for parent teacher conference! And do you have any idea how many teachers Scott has?! About a bazillion.

Thursday night was CRAZY for me, so all I could squeeze in was a quick visit to Syd and Maddy's teachers. Wait, did I say quick visit? Oh, excuse me. Is there any such thing? It seems the people in front of me typically have a LOT to talk about. Oh well. Such is life.

Anyway, back to my story. Last night was crazy....I only got to one school, leaving two schools for Friday morning. I arrived at Burley Junior High at 9:15 am, leaving myself plenty of time to hit both schools. I had until 11:00, or so I thought. I quickly realized something was up when I entered Scott's school and saw tables labeled 7th grade and 8th grade, with nothing on them. Hmmm, odd, I thought to myself. And how strange it seemed that there was nobody to direct me. I was new to this whole junior high scene, you know. And stranger still, as I entered the gym, I found several small tables, labeled with teachers names, but....no teachers!

Apparently the junior high parent teacher conferences ended at 9:00. OOPS!

My first parent teacher conference at the junior high was a huge success, don't you think? Hopefully next time things will work out a bit better!

1 comment:

Mommo said...

Do tardy parents get reprimanded at the Jr. High????