Tuesday, October 21, 2008

One Year Older

Last year, this was me. Plump and round through the midsection.


And here we are a year later.



Yep, that's right. It was birthday weekend around here. And we had not one, but two birthdays! Ben was a mere hour and a half away from sharing a birthday with his dad.

It amazes me how fast time flies. And the busier life gets, the faster time goes by. I want to freeze my little Ben in time, but yet I want to see him grow. Oh, how I will miss his snuggling when he does grow! I have never had a baby quite like Ben....one who loves to snuggle up to me, and does it frequently.

Ben is such a joy in our home. He makes us all smile with his cute little personality. That cute personality, however, can turn awfully fiesty when things don't go his way. He is already learning how to express his disapproval by throwing himself on the ground. Let me just say, I don't think he is going to be a push-over! He has a bit of that Pilling determination in him.

And to celebrate turning one, Ben took his first step yesterday. Hooray for Ben! We love you!

Here's how the party went down.
There was cake and ice cream. (Ben's favorite part)


There were presents.




And cousins.


There was help from his brothers and sisters in the unwrapping department.


And,there were new fleece pajamas, which made Ben want to snuggle up and suck his thumb.


The End.


Then there was birthday number 2, which belonged to none other than my better half.


Let me share with you a few of the many reasons why I love this guy so much. I love his determination. Brek is such a hard worker. He doesn't know the meaning of the word quit. When confronted with a problem, he will work until he finds a solution.

I love the way Brek loves music. He really loves it. It touches his soul. Often times at night, he will grab his guitar and head up the stairs to sing the kids to sleep. It has become somewhat of a tradition in our home.... a special treat for the kids.

I love Brek's generosity. He is such a giving person. Most people probably don't know the extent of his generosity....not even me. He would much rather go without in order to help another.

Brek is a doer. We have so much fun together. He is one good-looking, waterskiing, basketball playing, coaching, canning, hiking, snow-skiing guy!

I love the way Brek treats me. He is my "biggest fan". He never speaks bad about me, and I know he would do anything for me (except let me turn the A/C down low!) He notices the good and overlooks the bad. He says such kind things like, "I am so lucky that you married me."

But, you know what? I am the lucky one!!!

Love you Brek!