Friday, October 10, 2008

Things That Make Me Smile

#1: This was a yummy breakfast I had yesterday. I particularly liked it because it tasted good AND I felt like I was doing my body a favor. I know, I know....most people don't call oatmeal yummy. But with a little honey, and some blueberries, it is quite tasty. I also added some ground flax seed (you can't even taste it), and topped it off with some rice dream (my father-in-law likes to call it "rice nightmare"!) It may sound gross to you, but I thought it was delish!

That is not the only thing about this oatmeal that made me smile. What really made me smile was the day before when Brek came walking through the door hefting a huge bag of oatmeal. He continued hefting in bags until a whopping 350 lbs. of oatmeal lay on my bedroom floor!

Why does this make me smile? Because that is SO Brek! When Brek does things, he goes all out! If soup is on sale, he will come home with 200 cans! He loves a good deal, and apparently he has caught the food storage bug. So, I will be eating this yummy breakfast for many more mornings to come!

#2: Last week Madelyn bought a pumpkin while we were at the store with her very own money. This $.87 pumpkin was her pride and joy. She carried it with her everywhere and informed me this is what she would be taking for show and tell (a good 6 days later). However, one day while playing, the pumpkin took a blow. Madelyn was swinging with the pumpkin, and the poor little pumpkin fell to the ground, splitting in half. Madelyn came in the house sobbing.

I told her not to worry, we could easily replace the pumpkin. But she was not to be consoled. She was now a mere two days away from show and tell, and her beloved pumpkin was broken.

However, not to be one to let a broken pumpkin get her down, she decided to take matters into her own hands. Hence, the pumpkin below. The pumpkin lived just long enough to go to show and tell.


#3: Yesterday I took the boys for a walk. This stroller is awesome. It has a plastic rain guard that also blocks wind, so although it was chilly outside, they were toasty warm.


I am pretty sure Luke did not stop talking the entire time!
This is what I heard from where I stood.

Jabber....jabber....jabber....jabber....huh mom, huh?!

Jabber....jabber....jabber....jabber....huh mom, huh?!

Occasionally I would hear,
Jabber....jabber....jabber....jabber....why mom, why?

And once I heard Luke's impersonation of Alvin and the Chipmunks.
Boom-chicka-wow-wow, boom-chicka-wow-wow, one more time....boom-chicka-wow-wow.

Definitely smile worthy!

As we were walking past the junior high, Scott poked his head out the door and yelled Hi! He was in between classes and had seen me. It made me smile to know that my 7th grader still likes his mama....even if she is walking around in her sweats with no makeup on!

#4: This past week Ben has been learning to crawl down the stairs. Each time he would slide down a step he would exclaim, "Oooh!" He was often surrounded by his adoring fans (that would be the rest of us) cheering him on! Even the rather large crocs he was wearing did not seem to inhibit his progress. Go Ben!



1 comment:

The Brack's said...

Hey Stranger! I love the pumpkin! That is probably the cutest thing I have ever heard. I gave that one a huge cheese grin too! Hope you are staying warm!!