Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A day in the life of an 11 mo. old

Poor Ben has had a rough morning. It all began quite early when he was awakened by his brother, using who knows what tactics. All I know is I found several toys in his crib when I went to lay him down for his nap. (Were the toys given to him as a gesture of kindness, or were they thrown at him to arouse him from slumber??? Only Luke knows.)

At approximately 6:30 am, I was in my bathroom multi-tasking (attempting to comb my hair, while practicing with Syd), when I heard some major commotion outside my bedroom door. I heard some yelling, followed by Ben screaming. I ran out and Josh yelled, "Madelyn threw Ben down the stairs!!" A horrified Madelyn was sitting at the top of the stairs. She cried out (practically in tears), "No I didn't!"

I scooped Ben into my arms, and he nestled his little head under my chin as he continued to cry. I then got to the bottom of the trauma, because trauma it was! Madelyn explained that he had been crawling down the stairs, then something happened and "he just started rolling down!" Luke was sitting next to Maddy and corroborated her story. "Yep, he just rolled down. Maddy didn't push him."

Poor Madelyn.

POOR Ben!

Ben, however, was fine....not a bump anywhere. After a little snuggling, he wiggled down and resumed his general exploration of, well, everything!

However, his troubles didn't end there.

Later, as I was loading the dishwasher, I heard a scream and ran to find him "trapped".


He was in the bathroom and apparently decided he wanted to play in the toilet. (He is chartering new territories.) When I walked in the bathroom, I found him with his head trapped underneath the toilet seat. Each time he tried to lift it, it would fall right back down, pinning him to the toilet. I, once again, came to his rescue, and in true mother-of-6 fashion, ignored the fact that his hands were a bit "damp", and ignored the fact that he promptly stuck his "dampish" thumb into his mouth! Of course I had good intentions of washing his hands, but he beat me to the punch. And once the thumb went in, I figured the damage had been done! Besides, he was so distraught and just wanted to snuggle. How could I say no to that?!

He then moved from the bathroom to the kitchen where he opened the puzzle cupboard (another new territory for him), and proceeded to empty it. One box broke. Luke exclaimed, "Oh no, Benzie (Luke's new nickname for Ben), you broke it! You are going to be in big trouble!" Ben then looked up at me, batted his big eyes, and said his very favorite word, "Uh-Oh!" He is already learning the fine art of "charm".

His next adventure involved the vaccuum, which he managed to pull over on himself.

Poor Ben....or is it lucky Ben?

Always into a scrape, but always loved and doted on by his many admiring fans! Oh, to be so loved!

I think I'll have to go with lucky.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Poor Ben! Hopefully everyone flushes because we all know how that will turn out.. :) Heidi

Emily said...

Yes, thankfully the toilet had been flushed!

Natalie said...

I love this post! what am i saying, you always have a great post with crazy, funny stories! I was also hoping the toilet had been flushed...phew!