Thursday, September 25, 2008

Words of Wisdom

As I was reading a talk from a past General Conference, I came across this quote.

President Gordon B. Hinckley has pleaded that we "work at our responsibility as parents as if everything in life counted on it, because in fact everything in life does count on it."

I love this. So straight forward, as our beloved President Hinckley always was.

Are we following this counsel? Sometimes we (I) find ourselves distracted. We need to remember that every choice we make affects our children. Are we teaching them not only by our word, but by our example? Do they see us wrapped up in worldly pursuits, or do they see that following the prophet is our number one priority? Is image important to us? Because if it is, what are we teaching our children? Do we think small things don't matter?

Because everything matters.

Do we follow the counsel we give them...to stand up for what they know is right at all times and in all things and in all places? Are we taking a stand for what is right? Because we need to take a stand.

Being a mom (or dad) is more than just changing diapers, finding shoes, making meals, doing laundry. It is much, much more.

We are responsible to teach our children, to empower them against the evil forces of our day. That often times means going against the norm. But we are strong....we can do it.

I am not trying to lecture....just sharing some of the thoughts floating around in my head. It's just me on my soapbox again!

After all, we are all in this together!!

No comments: