Friday, September 26, 2008

Angels Amongst Us

This morning I had one of those moments that I am not too proud of. I lost it. And by lost it I mean totally lost it. I snapped. After "losing it", I ran out of the house. I needed some serious cool down time. I knew my children were probably in tears, thinking I had run away, but I needed to simmer down before returning.

I walked to the end of the neighborhood and back....in my slippers no less. (I have no pride.) Upon returning home, I went straight to my room. I had calmed down some, but was still angry inside. I didn't want to face my kids yet. I did have to comb the girls' hair, but then I sent them all out. I felt helpless, frustrated, and sick inside. I didn't know what else to do, so I fell to my knees and began to pray.

I pleaded for help and guidance. I poured my heart out to my Heavenly Father. As I knelt by my bed, sobbing, my sweet little Luke tip-toed into my bedroom. He quietly knelt down beside me, then gently placed his little hand on my leg. There he sat, quietly and patiently, until I was finished. When I opened my eyes, he was looking up at me with his big, beautiful eyes. I hugged him and he hugged me back.

He was my little angel, waiting to comfort me.

He was shortly followed by Ben, who climbed onto my lap and nestled his head up against me. My heart felt softened.

Thank you my sweet little boys.



4 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks Emily for sharing this post. I thought I was only one out there that snapped. Its a good thing kids are so loving and forgiving. You are an amazing mom and one I have always looked up to.

Sarah Stokes said...

I agree with Heather, Em. you are an amazing mother, I have seen you in action! At least you were smart enough to "leave" I usually pass that point and later realize I should have walked away from the situation before having to later say sorry to my children for my behavior, once again you have shown an example of an amazing mother!! (don't be to hard on yourself) YOU ROCK!!

Chelsie said...

Em,

You remind me so much of mom. That is exactly what she would have done in a situation like that. What an amazing testimony you have to turn to the Lord to help you with your frustrations. You have always been such an example to me and I am so glad to have you in my life. Kids are amazing! They can make you so angry and then in the same moment they can melt your heart. I love you Em! You are amazing! Thank you for sharing this experience!

marianne said...

Emily,
I know this is an old post but since I am catching up , I have to chime in and say, I bet your definition of "snapped" is me on a good day! We, as mothers are so hard on ourselves, we deal with so much stress on a daily basis and do it 24/7 365 days a year! What a wonderful way to deal with a moment of desperation. A moment we all have Em. Every single one of us. I appreciate you sharing these moments. It makes me feel a little more normal!
Love- Mare, who has snapped herself a couple billion times:)