Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Life is "Peachy"


Peaches, peaches, and more peaches. That pretty much sums up my day yesterday!

I love peach season. We, here in the Pilling household, love to eat peaches until they make us sick! We eat and eat and eat them for a good month, until sadly, peach season comes to an end.

However, our enthusiasm for peaches generally leads to a very sticky day of bottling, freezing, etc. You see, the problem comes when we buy the peaches. We think to ourselves....we better buy a lot of boxes,because we don't want to run out! But I think 6 boxes may have been a bit of overkill, don't you?! Oh, and did I mention we have 4 more boxes ordered?!

So, yesterday was peach day around here. In order to preserve all those beautiful, delicious peaches, I spent hours and hours in the middle of a sticky mess. As I canned peaches (why do we call it canning? I don't see any cans, do you?), everything else fell apart around me.

What do I do every day? Apparently a lot of maintenance and prevention! As I finished and went to put my children in bed, I walked from one room to the next finding this,



and then this,




and then this,




and more of this!



Puzzles dumped, clothes torn out of dressers, toys piled in heaps and heaps, cushions torn off couches. And, on top of that, my kitchen was covered from top to bottom in stickiness. I'm pretty sure some serious moaning and groaning escaped my lips as I surveyed the house.

However, Brek rounded up the troops, put them to work, and we conquered the mess....me in the kitchen, them everywhere else. (OK, almost everywhere else. I keep finding more hidden "treasures"....thanks Luke.)

Having said thus, I will now get to the blessings. Because, yes, there were blessings amongst the debris.

#1- I am SO grateful to be done with the sticky peach mess! And now look what I have! (Not to mention a freezer full of peaches just waiting to be made into delicious smoothies.)



#2- Did I mention I love peaches?? Because I do. And, we have a whole box left, just for eating. YUMMY!

So, you see...there is always a blessing to be found!


3 comments:

Natalie said...

YOU are PEACHY!! I love it! Youre making me VERY hungry for some yummy fruit....I am so impressed with all the canning...i swear that i am the only mormon woman who does not can something.
Those jars look beautiful!!!

Kresta said...

I am canning peaches today too. 5 bushel. And I am so glad to know that your house looks the same as mine after a day of canning and not much supervising of little ones! It will be worth it when we have peaches to eat all winter, right?!

Chelsie said...

I don't can either! Way to go. That is the one thing that I miss about living in Logan ever so close to Brigham City where the best peaches are!!! Hope you canned some for me!!! Love ya!