Thursday, September 18, 2008

What's a gal to do?


OK, it's a good thing this kid is cute, because HO-NEST-LY! He is driving me crazy! I mean, do I really need to clean my garage out EVERY day?? Yesterday I was cleaning out pee...yes, that yellowy substance that is SUPPOSED to go in the toilet. And today, it's mud! Yesterday he peed on the steps in our garage, and today he has spread mud all over them. Also, he has a certain fondness lately for creating piles AND waking up Ben. Those two are a bad combination, since often times he wakes up Ben and THEN piles toys into his crib. Poor Ben will be trapped into a corner, screaming his disapproval.

Where am I when all of this happens??? Well, a girl does have to shower every now and then!

So, what am I going to do about all of this? Why, what any good mother would do. I think I'll take him for a fun outing to the library.

What? Reward him for his mischief??

Well, I have to admit, I may be part of the problem. The poor kid is probably bored without all his buddies (brothers and sisters) to play with, so he is becoming "creative". I have become spoiled as my kids have gotten older. They all entertain eachother, leaving me with more time to carry out other responsibilities. However, on the other hand, the more kids I have and the older they get, the more messes and responsibilities I have to deal with!

Back in the day when I only had two kids, I spent more time doing things with them. We looked forward to outings, because I needed to get out of the house as much as they did! Now, I find myself always trying to get my work done first....the things I think NEED to be done. The problem is, those needy things are never-ending.

So, I am going to try to be a better mom, and enjoy my little ones more. Don't get me wrong. I love them and enjoy them. I love those little moments that make me smile and bring joy into my life. But I can do better. I think this quote by Anna Quindlen states it so well. She said, "The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make.....I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."

I want to treasure the doing a little more. That is my new goal. Wish me luck!



Speaking of enjoying kids, I have to jot down a couple of my favorite Lukeisms for the week. Sorry, but this is my way of recording and remembering.

#1
A couple of days ago, Luke asked me to get the marbles down. We keep them up high, as they are a danger to my baby. But, Ben was asleep, so I got them down for him.

He said, "Thankyou mommy!" He then headed for the door, saying, "I am going to Caitlyn's to play her marble game."

Me: But Caitlyn's gone to school.
Luke: Oh, OK. I will just play with the mom and dad then!

#2
I have mentioned before that Luke refers to himself as Lukey pookey tookey. However, that has changed.

Me: Luke, you are crazy.
Luke: No, I not crazy...I Lukey pook (pause).....No, I Lukey only.

My boy is growing up!

1 comment:

Jill said...

I know what you mean about all the friends gone to school... my two year old is the same way and she will not leave the baby alone, or if he is asleep she is into something she shouldn't be, especially if I notice it's really quiet and I don't know where she is. Usually she is right in my face. I feel for ya!