Thursday, April 3, 2008

Happy Moments

Life is crazy, no doubt about it. But there are small moments each day that make me smile. Usually, life is so hectic, these moments come and go without much thought from me. Then they pass and are forgotten. So I am now writing down a few so someday when my kids are all grown up and there are no more huge piles of laundry or backpacks, coats, and shoes lying all over the floor, I will remember a few of those sweet little moments that make me so grateful for my wild and crazy family.

For example, yesterday as I picked up Sydney for violin lessons, I watched as she came out the front doors, saw my car, and started running. Actually, I would have to say it was more like bouncing. She is so light on her feet. She bounced right up to the car and hopped in with a huge smile on her face. It was so cute to see her enthusiasm for life just bubbling over. I think we outgrow this trait....running to get from point A to point B. But both of my girls are still in this "bouncing phase". When I drop Maddy off at school, she takes off running, hair bouncing up and down, often turning halfway around (while still running) to wave goodbye, or say something to her friends. She is usually laughing or has a huge smile on her face. I want to remember this mental picture, so common to me now, because I know things will change.

I want to remember the way my little Luke looks when he climbs into his big boy bed. He can barely get in on his own. He gets a foothold inbetween the box spring and mattress, then hoists himself up. I pull the covers up to his chin and can just see his curly head and big blue eyes poking out. Then he says to me in a whisper, "Sing me a song." He wants I am a Child of God, and he joins in singing with me. I kneel by his bed, my face close to his, and he pokes my nose, touches my cheeks, pokes my nose again, maybe goes for the eyes. I have to move my head to preserve my eyesight. When I am done I try to say goodnight, and he says, "Sing another song." It is so hard to refuse such a request. So one more song it is. Then he wraps his arms around my neck, gives me a kiss, and rolls over to go to sleep.

I want to remember scripture study....the good, the bad, the ugly, and mostly the funny! Luke is not exactly reverent during scripture study...in fact, he is a bit of a distraction. Tonight, for example, he was jumping on the couch. He would stand on the arm, jump onto the couch, lift his legs as he bounced high, and then land on his back. We kept trying to tell him to be quiet, but to no avail. However, all of a sudden it just struck us funny and we all burst out laughing. I love the sound of my kids laughing!

These are just a few moments....I'll save more for another day....another post....perhaps on a day when I feel like tearing my hair out....it would do me good to sit down and focus on the positive!

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Thanks for giving me a reason to smile and remeber the good things about the crazy things our children do. It seems most of the time I am trying to speed through life and get to the next stage so I miss all that happens at the stage we are at.

marianne said...

Emily thanks for ......yes, what Marilyn said! I love those moments too! You are such a great example to me! Now off I go to fold 8,000 loads of laundry waiting on my bed!
Mare

Natalie said...

Em, i had tears in my eyes as i read this today.
I really needed this today!!!
You are such a great mom and example.
I am so not appreciating being a mom right now (feeling very pregnant sick is the culprit) and i want to enjoy it and remember my little ones.
So, thank you for this.
I need to do this same post on my blog so i can remember the simple things is life.

I also got your message, i am hoping to be able to brave the trip on my own, (shawn will have to work). I really want to come see cute Sid bet baptized. How exciting!!!
I will let you know!

Have a great conference weekend!

Love ya!
Nat