Saturday, April 19, 2008

Friend or Foe


My running shoes and I have a love hate relationship. For those of you who don't know, I am doing the Spudman this year. My husband talked me into signing up, assuring me I would be able to do it, but I must admit....I'm not so sure!

The day after I signed up, I started exercising. I rode the bike, jogged on the treadmill, or both. You have to understand this is a stretch for me, because my idea of exercising is a nice, brisk walk where I feel invigorated, not exhausted! But the fear of not completing drove me onward. I eventually started to gain a bit of confidence as I became more comfortable with biking and running.

Ahh....but with my confidence, my motivational factor (fear) went out the window. So for the past month, my exercising has been sporadic at best. When Monday of this week came around, I decided it was time for me to kick it in gear once more....and can I just say, it is downright depressing how quickly you can fall out of shape! Why can't it work the other way around?! Easy to get in shape, and hard to get out of shape--sign me up for that one!

After exercising (almost) every day this week, I decided to go for a run today....outside. I think to myself, "It will be way better running outside. You will enjoy the fresh air, the scenery, listening to your ipod, and you will have no distractions of the children sort." And I admit, it is better than running on the treadmill. BUT...not as easy as I had hoped.

I ran 4 miles (yeah for me!!), but only made it that far because of sheer determination. I was determined to finish without stopping. Also, I have to admit, running outside where people can actually see me, motivates me to keep going. I don't want to look like a wimp, huffing and puffing like I am going to die! I was winded, and my legs were tired, but I just kept going!! Never mind the fact that I probably look like an idiot when I run, and probably run slow as a turtle. All that matters is that I finished! Spudman...here I come!

8 comments:

sarah stokes said...

Emily you rock!! It is very different running outside I have to admit! I once almost got run over by a HUGE truck out here on my country roads, my iPod was up so loud I couldn't hear him honking until I could see this HUGE white thing in my side vision, I think it scared me so bad I have not ran outside since, ( I know lame excuse.) Go Emily!

Marilyn said...

Em, I love to hear all your details about your life. You should be a writer. I'm sorry to say I really have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to exercising. I prefer the "not at all" method. Whenever I start to exercise, my appetite increases a ton, then I gain more weight. Just not worth it! Good job for you though. Keep it up!!!!

Extraordinary Housewife said...

We are going to die, aren't we Emily? -Lana

Ps. My word verification below is puk - ironic?

Chelsie said...

Way to go superstar! One of these days I will get enough determination to do something like that. Your awesome.

Extraordinary Housewife said...

By the way, those shoes look brand new, who are you kidding anyway!?
-Lana

steph said...

Way to go Emily! At least you probably don't have to run outside with cotton in your ears like me. The cold or just the wind make my ears hurt so bad! I guess I would rather wear cotton and look like a dork then have sore ears for the day.

Emily said...

Brand new my foot! Those shoes have got some miles on them! At least 10! (Just kidding!) But, hey, how dirty can they get when I've only run a whopping two times outside!

Heather said...

wow! Just hearing the word 4 miles makes me want a nap. I was complaining today that my walk to the park yesterday pushing the two kids in the stroller gave me shin splints. The park is maybe a half mile at best. Boy I feel old and lazy. Keep up the good work.