Wednesday, May 27, 2009

You mean I have to CATCH the ball?!

I have two daughters, whom I adore.


They are both very unique.

One reminds me SO much of myself.
And the other one....not so much! (At least when it comes to sports.)

For example....

Both girls play baseball. Syd puts her whole heart into the game. She gives it her all. She loves the competition, and loves trying to get better and better. She is not afraid of, well, anything really. (Except perhaps tornadoes!)

Then there is Maddy. Madelyn is not so much into the whole baseball thing. At first, she was downright unhappy about the fact that she had to play anything other than tee-ball.

"I'm scared," she said.

And me, being the sympathetic mother that I am, told her there was nothing to be scared of, and I was sure she would like playing.

(In my defense, Madelyn is always scared of "new" things. Take skiing for example. She was so nervous at first, but after a few runs there was no stopping her. In fact, she was usually the last one off the hill! So, I just keep on making her do things, like it or not.)

It didn't take long for her to realize that baseball is really not very scary. But....that is about as far as we've gotten. She usually strikes out (followed by a big grin....there's always next time, right?!) She would rather pull grass and dig in the dirt than worry about whether the ball might actually be coming her way. And if the ball does happen to come nearby, she is not sure whether she should be the one getting it or not. She doesn't want to step on someone else's territory!

Then there's Syd. She's a bundle of energy, stopping balls, tagging people out. She was playing pitcher tonight, and when the ball was hit to the outfield, guess who was out there helping out? You got it. Syd. Crazy girl!

Anywho....I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut during Maddy's games. I feel this constant need to encourage her. Or at least tell her to STAND UP!

It is quite comical. And who knows, maybe one day she will decide that she really does like baseball. Then again, maybe not! You never know with Maddy. Only time will tell!

4 comments:

Sarah Stokes said...

At least Maddy lights up the entire field with her never ending smile! She is such a doll, I am so glad her and Savana are on the same team, because I would miss out on seeing that grin :)

steph said...

They are so cute and so different. I love it! I heard you have kind of taken over coaching???? Tell Dan to stop being so lazy.... (He is a funny guy. I work with him so you can given him a bad time!)

Julie said...

Oh...isn't is so fun to have 2 girls so completely different? My girls are the exact same way! I wouldn't ever dare put my Brinley into a sport like that....She would surely be off doing who knows what when in the outfield! We stick to Gymnastics and Dance for her.

Marilyn said...

That sounds so much like Kenzie! It used to drive me crazy to watch her look around and play in the grass while she was supposed to be playing. We figured out pretty quick that sports weren't her thing. I'm sure glad we found out what was! Hang in there!