Thursday, May 14, 2009

New Arrivals

I have always wondered if our cat is a boy or a girl. Not being an expert on cats, I was never quite sure....

until now.




Let me back up to this morning.

It was 6 am. We were all a bit sleepy-eyed as we began our morning routine. All of a sudden Scott came running in from the garage announcing that our cat had had kittens.

You can imagine my surprise, for you see, I had no clue she was pregnant! How could that be? Well, I have no idea. Our cat is not so much a lovable pet as a mandatory mouse killer. I give her food and say hello every now and then when she runs across my path, but I don't exactly snuggle up with her. Cat hair....yuck! You would think I would notice a fat cat, but hey, maybe she's just the type who hides her weight well.

I was so surprised when I saw the squeaking little kittens (Syd says they look like rats, and I would have to agree), that I wondered if maybe the kittens belonged to some other cat who had snuck into our garage to give birth. After all, they are all black! (That daddy must have some dominant genes.)

Soon the kids reported that the mama cat was nursing her 3 little kitties, so that theory was shot. I was forced to accept the fact that our cat had been pregnant and I didn't even know it. How long are cats pregnant for anyway?

She handled the whole thing like a champ, if you ask me. No complaining about morning sickness, no special food cravings, no complaints about lack of sleep or a sore back, no water retention. And you should see her now. She has bounced right back. She looks like she was never even pregnant. What a gal!

Later that morning, as though I hadn't been shocked enough for one day, I returned from Madelyn's talent show and found not 3, but 4 kitties latched onto their mama. Are you kidding me? Where did #4 come from?!

When I told Syd about the fourth kitty, she said the mama cat must have laid another kitty (sort of like laying an egg?). She corrected herself, however, saying the cat must have had another kitty.

Anyway, I am now the proud owner of not 1, but 5 cats. And considering the fact that 1 is pushing it as far as Brek is concerned, I will be looking for homes for the 4 kitties. They are brand new and come from a smoke-free, pet-free home....well, a smoke-free home anyway.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

too funny Emily... I wish I was more like that cat. Anyway, love your pics form Okinawa... How fun that must have been!

Heather said...

How many times have you been pregnant Emily? Where's that intuition? Ha ha. so funny. That once happened with my rabbit.

Chelsie said...

Thats hilarious! Thats one of the best things that I have heard in a long time.

Jill said...

That is too funny... that cat doesn't exactly LOOK like a friendly cat either. Good luck finding homes for them. hee hee