Friday, December 19, 2008

Life's Lessons Learned

This week, Luke learned an important lesson while at the grocery store with me. We were in the produce section, and I looked up to see him, jalapeno in hand and a smirk on his face.

Two things happened simultaneously.

One was the words, No, Luke! Don't!, coming from my mouth.
The other was Luke taking a great big bite out of the jalapeno.

He looked at me with a big smile and a look of triumph, thinking he had just had a little morsel of green pepper. However, moments later, that smile turned to horror as his mouth started to burn.

He started screaming, tears running down his cheeks. He was so distressed, he couldn't figure out what to do with the remaining pieces of pepper in his mouth. He couldn't swallow them, and couldn't manage to spit them out.

I quickly rummaged through my purse, searching for anything that might lessen the burn. I came up with a piece of gum. I have no idea if gum does ANYTHING to stop the burning sensation which follows eating a jalapeno (which by the way is sheer torture if you ask me....people actually eat those things on purpose?!)

Luke took the piece of gum, hastily chewing, chunks of jalapeno mixing in with the gum. Moments later, he had swallowed the gum...chunks and all. Throughout this time he continued crying and screaming and panicing! I'm pretty sure he thought the burn might never go away. But, I am happy to report, the burning did subside, and hopefully Luke won't be helping himself to any more produce at the grocery store.

I guess sometimes you have to learn things the hard way!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Oh that is so funny! i can picture his face after eating that!! So cute!