Tuesday, August 12, 2008

What a Day

Summer is almost at an end, and we finally made it to the pool! What a crazy summer it has been....with spudman training, family vacations, boating, and who knows what else. So yesterday we all went to the pool with my sis and her cute kiddos. We had a great time.

However, despite the fun had by all, there was a moment when my heart stopped for fear of losing my darling little boy. Luke has decided he loves to swim. He hops in with his life jacket and away he goes. But then he got cold, and in order for me to snuggle him warm, I took off his life jacket. I will not bore you with the details of why I was distracted, or why I never imagined he would jump in without a life jacket, because the fact of the matter is that he did jump in. Someone ran over to us and pointed to the water where I saw my little boy under the water!

My heart is beating faster just writing this and I am feeling anxiety just reliving the moment. My sister saw what was happening before I did, and jumped in to save him. What did I do? I scooped him up into my arms and never wanted to let him go. I felt like burying my head in his towel and sobbing.

What scares me the most is that somebody else saw him....not me. How could I have missed that? What kind of a mom am I?? As I lay in bed last night, I felt panic coming on as I thought of what could have happened.

I am so upset at myself, but at the same time, I am so grateful to others for being aware. I feel so blessed. Elise turned to me and said, "I think sometimes we have angels watching out for our kids!" I completely agree. I feel so much gratitude for Luke's safety. What would I do without my little guy who is such a bright spot in our home.

Did I mention my heart is filled with gratitude? Because it is. I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who watched out for us yesterday.



4 comments:

Chelsie said...

Thank Heavens!!! Things happen. Don't beat yourself up over it. I am sure that it is scary and I can't even imagine, but thank heavens for those angels watching out for us! I am so glad that everything is ok. You are a great mom. Love ya tons!!

Anonymous said...

I remember a time when Kyleigh was like 10 months old sitting on my lap and starting choking on goldfish. She turned and looked at me with imploring eyes help me help me. I was so freaked out then all those lessons on first aide at girls camp came flooding back. I couldn't stop thinking about the "what if" for days. I'm sorry you had to go through that. But like u said you have angels watching out for you!

Sarah Stokes said...

Oooh Emily you are a great mother! That is such a scary thing that happened though, wow you are very lucky, and Elise is very wise about the angels, I have to agree with her. You know what they say "it takes a village..."and I don't see no village :)

Heather said...

How scary! I am so glad that he is OK! Don't beat yourself up, when Mack was little and barely walking we were at the pool here and you know the pool here doesn't allow life jackets. I took my eye off him for a second and looked up to watch him fall in. When I jumped up to grab him all I could see were these haunting little eyes staring up at me from the bottom of the pool. That was with only 1 child. Now that is pretty bad.