Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Off They Go

It's the most wonderful time of the year....

These ever so popular words to the well-known Christmas song have been flitting through my head all morning long. And why, you may ask?? Because it is the first day of school, of course!


I must admit, I have been a bit sad as I realized how quickly school time was coming upon us. But one trip to Wal-Mart yesterday, with all 6 children, to get groceries and school supplies cured me of that one!

Just to give you an idea of the level of chaos that seems to surround me when we are all together...
On my way to the store, my mother-in-law called. After a couple of minutes she said, "Do you have all the kids with you? Because, it is really loud." And what do I say to this?

Amen, sista!

There are benefits to having my older kids come along. They can help gather groceries, help keep track of small kids, etc. However, on the downside of things, I always end up with several surprise items, and I have been known to lose a child or two when under the watchful care of one of their older siblings! So, to avoid this yesterday, we had three carts....I pushed one, Scott pushed one, and Josh pushed one. Luke was in one cart, Ben in another, and food in another. However, by the time we made it to the check-out lane we had three half-full carts. Lovely!

As my sister once said when she ended up in line behind me and my bulging shopping cart, "I hate it when I get stuck behind people like you!"

But we survived, the children all got what they needed (no thanks to Wal-mart and their lack of school supplies!), and today they are all off. I took two very excited little girls to school this morning, and two excited, but trying to act cool about it, boys to school.




On a more serious note, as we prepared for school last night, Brek gave each of the kids a father's blessing. This is something we do each year before the kids start a new year of school. As I looked at each of my children, my heart swelled within me.

There was my amazing Scott, who can accomplish anything he puts his mind to. My kind Josh, always mindful of others and always willing to include anybody and everybody. My beautiful Sydney who tries to do her best in anything she does. And my sweet Madelyn, whose smile always brightens my day.

And then there was Luke, who after watching a few of the kids, decided he needed a blessing as well, and plopped himself on the chair in front of Brek. Little Luke, who fills our home with laughter. And, of course, Ben who we love so much!

What a wonderful family I have. I am SO blessed!

3 comments:

Jill said...

I can't even imagine taking six kids to the store... my four drive me crazy when we go... it's like they have no concept of personal space. They wander around and in front of people's carts and play tag and whatever else... I love when school starts too!!!

Chelsie said...

You are a brave woman! When I babysit, I try to avoid that at all costs! hahaha. What amazing kids. They are growing up so fast. It makes me miss them so much when I see them in these cute pictures, but thank heavens for blogs so that I actually know what is going on in your life! I love you guys! Miss you like crazy!!!

Lovell Home said...

I am still in denial that school has started again. We are trying to squeeze as much fun out of the final days of warm weather. I completely avoided the stores this year. I hate shopping! You are amazing to take all of them to the store.