Thursday, August 28, 2008

If He Builds It, We Will Come

On Sunday night, we went for a drive with the kids, much to Brek's dismay. Their loud, noisy voices and Brek's headache were not a good combination.

We went to see our land. What land?? Well....let me tell you about our land.

After much searching and thinking and searching some more, we finally decided to purchase some land on the river. I only wish I had taken a before picture, so you could see what a huge transformation has taken place thus far. It has not been an easy transformation. There have been many stepping stones, or should I say disasters, along the way!

There were only a few things involved in these near disasters....

a bulldozer,



an excavator,



the land,



and, oh yes...the most important element....my husband!



Now, before I tell you the story, let me first say that my husband is truly amazing. He is so smart and can almost always figure out solutions to problems he may face. He never gives up. When we first found this land, it was marshy, mosquito-infested land. And much like the early pioneers in Nauvoo, he has drained all that marshy land, which was the first of many improvements.

He has torn down trees and a dilapidated old shed. He is in the process of digging out a pond with running water moving in and out. He is going to plant hundreds of baby trees, which are now residing in my back yard, along with strawberry and raspberry plants. Those are just a few of his ideas. So, when I say the man has vision, I'm not just kidding!

Now, with that said, let me take you back to last fall. Brek had finally purchased the land and was ready to begin work. He had acquired an excavator, as well as the use of a bull dozer for a short period of time. He wanted to spend every spare moment digging and digging and digging.

I mentioned a time or two (or three or four or fifty!) that perhaps he should hire somebody to run the equipment for him...somebody who knew what they were doing. He was using very heavy equipment in very muddy, marshy ground, and I was afraid he might sink something! I told him my concerns, but he informed me that he knew what he was doing, and there was nothing to worry about.

Thanksgiving was coming upon us. Brek wanted to do some work in the morning before we joined our family for dinner. I, however, wanted him to be around, helping prepare food, playing ball with the kids, whatever. Holidays, in my humble opinion are family days, and I wanted him around, even if we were doing nothing. So we compromised. Brek would go "dig" early, knowing we would all sleep in. He would be back early enough to spend time with us.

However, disaster struck. Just as I had feared, he drove into a bad spot, and the bulldozer began to sink. Hours went by, and I gave up wondering when he would return. He came flying into the house, just as we were about ready to leave.

He took one look at me and said, "I know, I know. Don't even say it!" But of course, I couldn't resist a good 'I Told You So!' He had called his dad, his brother Brad, our friend Jared....anyone he could think of to HELP! They had miraculously saved the bulldozer.

I would like to say this was the first and last problem, but that just wouldn't be true. I would also like to say this was the first and last time anything got stuck. But again....that would not be true! You would think he would learn, but apparently not. He has sunk the excavator on more than one occasion, sunk the bulldozer again, knocked over a fence, flooded out the neighbor, cut a gas line...to name a few things!

His dad grounded him from driving any more large equipment on our property, but since he is a grown man, I guess he figured he didn't have to listen. I'm pretty sure his dad grounded him in hopes that he wouldn't be running to his rescue again anytime soon! Running to Brek's rescue generally means lots of hard, back-breaking work in the mud. We love you Kent!

The land project has been halted for a time due to equipment problems, but resumed again last weekend. Who knows when we will actually move out there, but when we do, it will be beautiful! What a view we will have!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Brek must be a TRUE Pilling, thinking he can run any kind of giant machinery.:) I'm married to one of those too. That's a neat place, I'm jealous!