Friday, October 23, 2009

Happy, Happy Birthday

Another birthday has come and gone....scratch that....two more birthdays have come and gone.

Last weekend was party time around here as we celebrated Ben and Brek's birthday. Ben's cake had seen better days, thanks to Ben. He snuck into the cake and pretty much made a big mess of things. Nothing a little extra frosting couldn't fix.

Brek's cake was actually not a cake at all. He requested his mom's delicious apple blueberry cobbler. However, 38 candles on one apple cobbler makes for trouble, let me tell you. Especially when the cobbler is still hot!

Candles + hot cobbler = candles melting....from the bottom up. OOPS! Nothing like 38 colorful pieces of wax floating in the cobbler!

Brek was a good sport to share his birthday with Ben (in other words to share ME with Ben). Unfortunately, my time was completely consumed by everything birthday-ish....birthday breakfast, clean-up, wrapping presents, making dinner, clean-up again, cake/dessert, clean-up again....etc. Not to mention this partying all took place on Sunday, so of course there was the usual: choir, YW lesson, getting kids ready, etc. I was completely spent and exhausted by the end of the day. Brek would have probably preferred to just have me simplify and spend more time with him. I must admit, I am not very good at simplifying sometimes....especially when it comes to birthdays. I want to make the day special. I guess I am still learning.

But despite it all, at the end of the day, Brek gave me a big hug and said, "Thanks for the birthday!" Because that's the kind of guy he is....wonderful. He knows my heart and my intentions. He loves me despite my faults. He thinks I am the greatest (boy do I have him fooled!) He is my biggest fan. I love him dearly!!!! I am one lucky girl!



This was Josh's little creation. He so wanted to decorate something with icing, and in his haste, chose a piece of bread. Yes, it says OLD. He thought he was pretty funny!

The beginnings of the apple cobbler/candle fiasco.


No comments: