Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The best gift....a day off

Brek and I spent a great weekend together.... away from life basically. We drove to Utah, shopped around, ate at one of our favorite restaurants (Thaifoons), stayed overnight, slept in, ate a yummy breakfast that we didn't have to fix or clean up, etc., etc., etc.

We returned home with a new violin for Madelyn, and a little something for Brek as well. If you want to know what it is, come on over and he will show you. But I must warn you. Be prepared for a "loud" experience. If you love music or appreciate good sound, then you will like Brek's demonstration. Especially if you like the surround sound sort of sound. (Have I given you enough clues?) After years (and I do mean years) of waiting and looking around, he decided to take the plunge and finally bought a home stereo system.

So, this is off the beaten path, but can I just say that it is annoying to walk into children's stores and find nothing but bikinis and two-piece swim suits. Come on people! OK, I didn't go into every children's store, but the few I did go in were sporting many, many colorful and darling, but skimpy bathing suits. Can't a girl find a cute, modest bathing suit for her daughter any more?

Sheesh.

We returned home and due to exhaustion decided to postpone Valentine's festivities with the kids until Sunday morning. OK, it wasn't really a we decision, since Brek has just about zero to do with the whole Valentine's day thing....unless it is for me, of course (I have trained him well.)

Anyway, Sunday morning, I made a breakfast of waffles with strawberries and whipped cream, and presented the kids with their gifts (a small something from me to my little Valentines).

It was a success. The kids loved it.

Chalk one up for mom.

3 comments:

Chelsie said...

That is so cute! I love valentines day! Glad that you guys finally got a little getaway! You deserve it!

Natalie said...

what is that you say??? you came to utah and you didnt call us??? how dare!

Just kidding!!:) I know how important that alone time is...i am so glad you guys got to get away! sounds like you had a blast! i hear you on the swimsuit thing...even for paige! im sorry but i will not put a bikini on my 4 month old! good luck and let me know if and where you find some modest cute ones!

marianne said...

Emily, you rock! How sweet! Brek and the kids are so spoiled to have such a wonderful mother! It's the little things like that kids remember and you've got it covered!!
Marianne