Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Vacation a la Montana

Here is the reason for my absence from the blog world as of late: a week-long camping trip to Glacier National Park in northern Montana.

If you asked me two weeks ago about this trip, I might have groaned. Because in all honesty, a week of camping was not my idea of the ideal vacation! I knew my husband and kids would love it, so I agreed to go. Not only were we gone for a week, but it takes a good couple of days to prepare, and a good couple of days to recoup.

But, having said thus, let me now say that I was wrong about the trip. We had a great time! It is so beautiful there....beautiful forests, rivers, streams, lakes. We only saw a few bears, none of which were near our camp--thank heavens!! I became proficient at cooking on a propane stove, and even started a fire on my own one morning when Ben and I were the first ones up.

AND, I gained greater appreciation for my kitchen sink, stove, dishwasher, and washer and dryer!!

We enjoyed boating (loved surfing behind the boat!), hiking, fishing, river rafting, biking, ice cream, campfires, etc. Brek's brother Wade and his family came, as well as one of their friends. We had a great time with them.

Sorry for all the pictures, but you have no idea what a hard time I had narrowing it down to this many. I took hundreds of pictures! So, here is quick recap of our trip in pictures.





Josh lost one of his shoes while trying to rinse it off in the water. The water was moving fast, but Scott saved the day. He took off running down the bank of the stream, and when he saw the shoe he dove in, saving it just in the nick of time! I only wish I would have gotten a picture of the dive....it was great!


Jumping in freezing cold water!!



Ben's favorite part of nature....the rocks.


Driving up Logan's Pass, stopping to enjoy beauties along the way.



The top of Logan's Pass was covered in snow! The kids had a great time sliding down glaciers and having snowball fights....in flip-flops!

The penguin slide....a Scott and Josh trick!

Fun at Echo Lake.



Hiking to Avalanche Lake....beautiful!! Waterfalls everywhere!



I took good care of my poor, exhausted baby....

and Brek took good care of his baby!!

Water skiing in the early morning hours. Thank heavens for dry suits!

And last but not least, the boys hiked into a remote area for some great fishing. However, they spotted two grizzlies along the way! Thank heavens they all returned home safe!!

4 comments:

Natalie said...

EM!!! Your pictures are amazing!! Did you use photoshop or is this just your awesome talent as a photographer?
Seriously awesome pix!
It looks like you had a blast!

Jill said...

How did you like the rain? I'm sorry I didn't get to see you up there, I saw Brek and Syd though... those are really good pics!

Marilyn said...

You guys have too much fun. I can't even bring myself to attempt such a trip with 3 realatively grown children and you do it with 6 and 2 who are still babies! You are one super over-achiever, and I love you for it! Can't wait to get back so you can rub off on me.

Unknown said...

I think Scott running through the woods chasing down Josh's shoe looks like the famous picture of sasquatch running through the forest. If you added some back hair you couldn't probably tell the difference!!