Sunday, July 13, 2008

I love campfires, but I hate dust!

The Burtenshaw family reunion has once again come and gone. We went camping/four wheeling/swimming, etc. Trav was the leader of the expedition, taking us to a prime spot....or so we thought.

Upon arrival, we found that Trav had led us to a very pretty spot of land....a pretty spot of land used for ranching cows! So, finding a flat spot of land that wasn't covered in cow pies was a bit tricky. Yes, cow pies! Gross. However, after much searching, we found a spot that would accommodate tents for 4 families, and two camper trailer thing-a-ma-jigs. (Obviously, I am not well versed in the correct camping lingo for trailers and such. Is it a trailer, a camper, a 5th wheel??? Who knows!)

One of those trailers (a 5th wheel, I think?) was driven by none other than my dad. First of all, let me say that my dad's idea of camping is going to the Marriott! Not only did he get to go camping, but he got to pull a great big huge 5th wheel (?), which he swore he would never do! It was hilarious to see him pulling that gigantic house on wheels. But we were sure grateful he did, since we were doing the primitive type of camping with no running water and NO bathrooms.

However, when all was said and done, we had a great time. The kids loved riding four wheelers, exploring around, and of course, roasting marshmallows. They were SO filthy!!! We went swimming at Lava Hot Springs, which was way fun, and floated down a river, which was not so fun. Let me just say we are very grateful that nobody was drowned, lost, or seriously hurt....nobody except for Jared, who is now getting surgery on his ankle! And when I say grateful, I really, really mean it! I think the Lord was watching out for us...truly.












1 comment:

Marilyn said...

I've been waiting for you to post, I guess baseball has been a little overwhelming this year? Looks like you've been having some great fun. Good for you, can't wait to be back to join in the baseball fun next year. Sure miss you all!!