Thursday, July 17, 2008

King of the Mountain

Tonight we went to a mountain lake with Grandma and Grandpa Pilling to do a little hiking and fishing. Josh, being a true fisherman at heart, headed straight to the lake. The girls, however, began climbing the mountain. They climbed and climbed and climbed, higher and higher and higher. I finally decided to go up and help them, knowing it was easier to go up than come down. When I finally caught them, I discovered they were both climbing in bare feet (they had stashed their flip flops somewhere along the way).

A few comments I overheard as we were climbing:

Maddy: Whoa Syd. Where are you going? I wouldn't climb up there if I were you. OK Syd, you are freaking me out. (pause....sigh) Oh well, (climbing up after Syd) I don't want you to be king of the mountain!

Later, as we were coming down, I was holding Maddy's hand, helping her.

Maddy: (Letting go of my hand) It's OK mom, I can do it. You be careful. You're the only mom I've got.

3 comments:

Chelsie said...

Thats pretty cute!! I love that Maddy was so worried about you. I love family!

Trav and Elise said...

Oh nelly. I have no idea what the deal is with kids and mountains. As for me, I am perfectly okay with not being king of the mountain! I love your Montana pics. Next year! Love, Elise

Sarah Stokes said...

Your kids are as funny as you! All your pics have been great. Why the heck would you go climbing up? They got up there they could certainly get down, and as Maddy pointed out, she doesn't need your help -