Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Room for Improvement

Tonight for mutual, a few speakers talked to the girls about knowledge. Among them were a doctor, a banker, and a farmer. As the farmer (who also happens to be a member of our stake presidency) spoke, he said something that really touched me.

He asked the girls these questions.

"Why has the prophet stated that a woman's primary role should be that of mother and nurturer?"

"Who on this earth is most like the Savior? Who loves unconditionally? Who serves willingly without the need for recognition?"

His answer to these questions was a mother. An interesting thought.

As I heard this, I didn't think, "Hmmm...yep, that's me alright."

On the contrary, I thought, "Oh, how I want that to be me!"

I thought of my own dear mom. I love her dearly. She did love us unconditionally, and her life was spent in service. All she did was for the good of our family. As a mom now, I know many of the things she did went unnoticed by many or possibly all.

As I think of all those I have known in my life, and who I would consider to be the most Christ-like, I realize that indeed my mom would be at the top of this list.

What a responsibility, and what an opportunity we have as mothers. I hope to become more Christ-like. I hope my family will know one day how much I love them all, and why I do all I do.

And I have a lot of improving to do!

1 comment:

Chelsie said...

Don't we all have room for improvement. I know that I definitely do. Mom was truly amazing though. If I turn out to be even a 1/4th of what she was, I will consider myself very lucky. We were definitely blessed to have such a sweet woman for our mother. I think you kids definitely know that you love them. We have a funny way of showing it sometimes, but we do notice. Love ya, and I will see you soon!