Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Simple Delight

Last Friday, Maddy came home from school, eyes aglow with excitement. She handed me a piece of paper.

It was a note from her teacher asking me if I would like to come into class on Monday and help make Easter baskets.

Maddy watched me as I read. When she saw I was finished, before I could say a word, she said, "Can you come mom?!" Then she paused. "Oh, wait....that's when Luke and Ben take naps. You probably can't come, huh."

I told her not to worry about their naps, and that I would love to come! A huge smile broke out across her face and her eyes twinkled. She was so excited!

Monday came, and Luke and I headed to the school. (Ben did indeed stay home to nap thanks to the help of my best ever neighbor Lisa.) We arrived at the classroom and I looked around for Madelyn. I soon spotter her....she was the one with a huge grin, waving at me.

The Easter baskets we made were milk cartons covered with cotton balls. Add ears, eyes, whiskers, and a nose and you have got your very own little bunny with a special hole for storing candy. I helped other kids in the class, but was mostly able to be with Madelyn. We worked together as a team. I put a dab of glue on the cotton ball and she stuck it to the milk carton. Several times she commented at how lucky she was to have her mom there, because she was going to get done twice as fast!

As we sat and worked together, Maddy said, "This is the best day of my life."

What a lucky mom I am to get to catch a glimpse of those every-day priceless moments. I am so glad I got to be a part of Madelyn's best day!

2 comments:

marianne said...

Don't you just love kids! We get to be celebrities to them.......then they turn into teenagers! Then it's over and you are their arch enemy .......thwarting dates, trying to "ruin their life" by imposing rules........ can't wait!

Julie said...

THat is so fun! I love that my kids love to have me come help and their not embarrassed to have me come! I love seeing them interact with their friends and teacher in class! What a fun thing for you to go help with! They have a GREAT mom!