Friday, August 7, 2009

The Cat is Out of the Bag

It's been a while.

But I have a good excuse. It has something to do with feeling nauseous and exhausted. I feel like it takes all I can do just to accomplish the day to day demands of my home and family. And let's face it, I don't even manage to do that as well as I should. The laundry is piling up, I can't remember the last time I actually fixed a real meal (does cold cereal count?), the yard....well, let's just say it has been a bit neglected.

But, on the bright side of things, come next March we will have a new little Pilling! That's right....baby #7 is on the way. The word is out, sooner than we had intended. When the kids kept asking, "Are you sick again, mom?" we figured it was probably time to enlighten them. And once the kids know, there is no stopping the good news from spreading.

And yes, we do think it is good news! We are very excited!

AND, in answer to a question that may have crossed your mind....

"Yes, this baby was planned."

You may think we are crazy, and the answer to that question is "Probably so!" But, as I thought and thought about what to do, I felt so strongly the truth that there will be "joy and rejoicing in your posterity". As I watched my children, their little day to day interactions, I was constantly reminded that family is where it's at! For example, when Scott would put Ben on his shoulders and carry him around; when the kids would sit around the kitchen table, giggling at Luke; when Syd would go into Ben's room and "help" him go to sleep by entertaining him....not wanting to hear him cry; when Josh would say, "Come here little buddy!" and help Luke get his shoes on; when Maddy would put her arm around Luke and help him go buy a snow cone at the baseball field....etc., etc., etc.

The moments are endless. They are quick, fleeting moments, but they are there none-the-less. We are a family. We love each other and we help each other. And I have a feeling it will just get better and better!

I know things will be crazy, and I know it will be hard. But I also know that there is nothing greater I could be doing right now.

Was I scared? Yes. I was worried that perhaps I couldn't handle the challenge. I was worried that my family might suffer, knowing that pregnancy and newborns aren't exactly easy. But then I felt an overwhelming conviction that the Lord would help me.

So, here we go again.

We can't wait! (I especially can't wait to get past this stinkin' first trimester!) But, one thing I know for sure....

In the wise words of my father, "This too shall pass."

And then we will have another beautiful little baby! Which brings one word to my mind.


JOY!

10 comments:

Mommo said...

So happy for you and your family. You are such a great mom and have such a happy family. This next child will be a great blessing and very blessed.
I hope your sickness does not linger too long.

Melanie said...

So happy for your family. It was great running into you even if it was brief. I treasure our friendship and wish you all the happiness - you are wonderful!!

Julie said...

CONGRATS! You are a great mom, I wouldn't doubt for a minute that if anyone could handle 7 kids, it would be YOU! I loved all of your examples of why "family is where it's at"!! I hope you are feeling better soon! AGAIN, CONGRATS! That's so exciting!

Extraordinary Housewife said...

I can not wait!!!

-Lana

Marilyn said...

Oh my gosh, Emily! That is such great news! If anyone can handle 7 it is definitely you! Congrats and best of luck over the next few months!

Sarah Stokes said...

Congrats Em. I totally agree with Marilyn, if it is anyone -it's YOU!

The Favorite said...

Congratulations!
That is so wonderful. We have 8 in our family and I don't know what we'd do without #7 Joanna. We hope you feel better soon!

Hewards said...

I heard the rumor yesterday! What are you doin runnin prego you know better ;) JK Just don't quit at 25 weeks like I did I HATE MYSELF for giving up so early! I am so excited for you!! Maybe by the time I'm up and runnin again you'll be so pregnant I can actually keep up with you ;)!

Jill said...

Oh my gosh congratulations... your kids are lucky to be in such a great family! You are superwoman for sure ;)

Emily said...

I want to know why emily gets all the accolades for being pregnant. I want you all to know that Brek worked pretty darn hard in the process too!! sheesh. men get so snubbed in life :) brek