Thursday, June 18, 2009

Any Good Book Ideas?

Ever since I began motherhood, I have envisioned myself sharing a love of reading and good literature with my children. Unfortunately, life doesn't always go as you plan. For example, I didn't realize at the time how tired I would be when bedtime came around!

I hear people talking about reading with their kids, and always think to myself, "What a great idea! I should do that." But then life gets in the way. It's impossible to fit in all that we want to do, isn't it?! (Don't get me wrong. I read a ton with my little kids, but I was looking forward to enjoying good books with my kids as they got older, as well.)

Despite my many attempts to read books to the kids (not counting those millions of books I read/listen to with my kids after school for their assigned 20 min. reading), I have yet to get through an entire book....until now. It only took me, oh say, 7 or 8 years to accomplish what I intended to do! I guess I could give myself a pat on the back for not quitting, right?

Or not.

Wait...I'm having a flashback. I'm pretty sure I did get through an entire book with Scott and Josh when they were younger. I read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe to them. OK, definitely a classic, but they were like 6 and 4 years old. Are you kidding me?! Not the best book choice on my part. I'm pretty sure the whole thing went right over their heads!

In the past few months I have started reading with the girls. We first read a Little House on the Prairie book, which they loved. Then we started on Anne of Green Gables. When we first started, I was afraid I was being overly ambitious (again). Perhaps the book was a bit much for them.

But we are almost finished, and have enjoyed the book very much. Even more so, we have enjoyed the time we get to spend together, just us girls. Every now and then, when the boys are engrossed in NBA something or other on TV, the girls will come snuggle up in my bed with me and we will read. With the end of school craziness and summer fun, our reading has been sporadic at best. But we only have a few chapters left! And we are very excited, because when we finish we are going to have a fun movie night....just us girls. There will be popcorn, treats, snuggling, and Anne of Green Gables, of course. Good times!

Soooo, the question is, what shall we read next? Any good ideas? What are some of your favorites?

Do tell!

4 comments:

Kresta said...

We are reading Summer of the Monkeys aloud right now. I bet Luke would love it! Noah wants me to read all day and Emily really likes it too. Sounds like fun. I love summer reading!

Chelsie said...

Maybe you should read The Chronicles of Narnia with them again. That is one of my all time favs. There was another book, I think it was called Letters from Rifka, or something like that, that mom read with David and I. It was a really good book. I also love Harry Potter, but I am not sure if they are too young for that. Have you already read, Anne of Avonlea to them too? I love that one. I will think of more and get back to you.

Hewards said...

I miss you Em, I'll see you in a couple months after I have this baby. You gotta get me runnin again ;)

Sticks and Stones said...

Hi Emily - Cute blog, cute family! YOU are one amazing mom! I recently read this book to my boys (9, 6 & 3) and they all loved it - I think girls would too.
Obi, Gerbil on the loose.

http://www.amazon.com/Obi-Gerbil-Loose-Michael-Delaney/dp/0525478906

-Destiny Rockwood