Friday, February 19, 2010

Not Alone

Stress. It is an awful thing.

How do you cope with stress?

I have learned that when stressful situations come my way, I have a hard time getting them off my mind. Sleep is hard to come by, as I can't seem to make my mind quit thinking through the situation. I try to do things to distract myself, which can work for a while, but underneath it all, the problem still lies. I feel restless until some sort of a solution or conclusion can be found.

Last night was one of those such nights. Yesterday it was brought to my attention that one of my children was being treated unjustly....by an adult AND a teacher, no less. SO frustrating! Sometimes I wonder what people could possibly be thinking. Anyway, I won't go into detail, but let me just say I was stressed. I was angered by the injustice. I felt I needed to address the problem, which just added MORE stress.

Because now enters confrontation. Not my favorite thing. But something I am willing to do if need be.

All night I tossed and turned, thinking, pondering, wondering, etc. Do you ever feel like you have so many thoughts going on in your head, you won't possibly be able to convey them clearly? Well, that is how I felt. Again and again, I thought through things, trying to really pinpoint the thoughts I felt needed to be shared.

And most of all, I prayed. I prayed last night, this morning....and regularly throughout the morning. I felt nervous and sick to my stomach, and as the hour drew near, those feelings just intensified. Sometimes, when lack of sleep and nerves come into play, I am also prone to tears....especially when I am pregnant! And that is something I didn't want, either.

So, I entered the lion's den, armed with my own thoughts and more importantly with a strength that was not my own. My nerves were settled, my thoughts felt clear, and regardless of the outcome, I felt at peace when I left. I can't control the thoughts and actions of others, but I felt that I had said what I needed to say.

And not one tear. I felt very in control of my emotions.

I don't think this is an end to the problem. Perhaps it is just the beginning. But nonetheless, I left feeling very grateful to my Heavenly Father who I know hears and answers my prayers. I will put my trust in Him and He will guide me.

No comments: