Wednesday, February 6, 2008

To Fold or Not to Fold

This post is dedicated to that ever so familiar mountain of laundry that resides in my home! The trouble with this pile is that it always starts out small and continues to grow. I begin with the best of intentions, telling myself that I will fold each load as it comes out. But then I am sidetracked....dishes, making beds, changing diapers, etc. I tell myself it's OK if the pile grows because it will give me a good exuse to sit down and watch a movie while I fold. Why is it this rarely seems to work out?

The other problem with my plan is the placement of the pile. I usually throw the pile of clothes right in the middle of my family room. This, I tell myself, will definitely motivate me to get the clothes folded and put away as soon as possible. However, on occasion, the ever-growing pile decides to reside in our home for at least a day or two. Not exactly the kind of decor you would hope for!

My few feeble attempts at folding are usually thwarted, and the few items of clothing I do manage to fold are unfolded by the time I return. (Why is it children don't ever pay attention to what they're stepping on!) My kids begin digging through the pile to find shirts, socks, pants, or whatever else they need.

Finally I can take it no longer and I conquer the mountain. Aaahhh...all clothes folded and put away! What a great feeling! But wait...what's that piling up in my laundry room?!

7 comments:

Sarah Stokes said...

Oohhh I had to take a double look at your pile to make sure you didn't sneak over to my family room and snap a picture! I to have a mound in the center of the room, going on about it's 3rd day today.....mabey today will be the day for me to fold, and put away, (usually not done in the same day either)

steph said...

We must all have our own place to pile laundry. Mine remains on my kitchen table. For sure I will get to it if everyone can see it when they walk in my front door. You would think we would need to eat at the table and we do after we push the laundry back to the floor. Serenity Now!

Natalie said...

Soooo funny em!!!
I cannot relate yet, i guess i need to have a few more kids to appreciate this.
I mean, don't get me wrong I do have a lot of laundry, just not as much as you.
And for some strange, sick reason I LOVE doing laundry, folding it and putting it away. sick huh?
Right now i wish i could be on your living room floor folding your clothes:)

Extraordinary Housewife said...

Natalie: It's a sickness.

Natalie said...

em:
i promise i am going to do your "tagged" thing....i just have not had time yet, but am way excited to do it.
I have been doing laundry again...YEA!!!:)

pillingfamily said...

oooooh. i know this story so well.

nathi1 said...

Dear Pilling Family

You are such a lovely family, lots of regards to you from Germany´s Pilling family...:)We are Phillipp Nathalie an our daughter Laeticia. We are living in the north of Germany near Hamburg. Wish you the best, good to see we are not alone....